Tuesday, November 4, 2014

We lost another chicken...

A few days ago my children asked me what I thought we should name the last remaining chick.  We started with five, but only one survived.  So I replied with, "Lucky."  They got a chuckle out of that, but determined that that name was no good.  They wanted to call her Domino because she was black and white. 

Last night I went out to close up the coop.  I did a quick head count and realized that Domino wasn't there.  I looked around the yard and outside the fence, but there was no sign of her.  I went inside and told the family.  My son grabbed a flashlight and went out to look.  It didn't take him long to find a carcass.  I'm not sure how I missed it.

There were feathers everywhere.  I'm assuming that another hawk got it, and boy did it eat well.  There wasn't much left of that bird.

I guess its luck ran out.

2 comments:

  1. I like your picture of the two in the clover. I love clover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no!!! That's terrible. Man, those hawks really have it out for your chickens :( Maybe you could set up a trail cam or something in your yard to see if you can catch the culprit on film....although I guess that might be kind of traumatic. Our 13 hens are down to laying only 2 or 3 eggs a day now and half of them are molting! I'm starting to think the same thing about their productivity though....are oldest girls will be 2 in February. But of course they all have names and the kids would never let us cull them ;)

    ReplyDelete