Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Compost bins

The previous owner of my house left this compost bin (if you can call it that).  It's just some welded wire fence in a circle.  There's no structure to it.  It worked well for a while.  I got a lot of good compost out of it last year and re-filled it over this past summer.  As you can see, it hasn't held up. 


I decided to build something more substantial.  The previous owners also left an old swing.  I cut it up and saved the 4x4's from it.  Then I went to Home Depot and bought 2x4 lumber from the scrap bin.  Most of it was warped and twisted and only 6 ft long.  It was sufficient for what I wanted to do. 

This is what I came up with.  It has two bins.  The plan is to fill one side and let it sit for a while and then move it to the other side. 

I bought some plastic 1" netting and stapled it around the interior.  At $20 it was the most expensive part of the project.

I built a removable door to hold the stuff in.

Bungee cords keep the door in place.

Here it is with one side all filled up.

No comments:

Post a Comment