Saturday, January 4, 2014

Dutch Oven Mountain Man Breakfast

I built a fire ring in my yard from stones I found around my property.  I made it big enough to do some cooking in a dutch oven once in a while.

The other day I made what I know as Mountain Man breakfast.

Ingredients.
  • 1 lb. bacon
  • 1 lb. sausage (I used Jimmy Dean)
  • 1 lb. hash browns
  • 1 green pepper
  • 1 red pepper
  • 1 onion
  • 1 dozen eggs
  • 1 lb. cheese (optional)
I got the dutch oven warm over some coals.  Then I threw in the bacon and cooked it until it was crispy.  The sausage when in next.  Once it was brown I tossed in the chopped peppers and onion and let them cook down.
Yum.  Bacon.
Then I stirred in the hash browns.  The dutch oven gets pretty full at this point. I let that all cook for a little while with the lid on. 
The final step is to beat the dozen eggs and pour them on top.  A little stirring doesn't hurt.  I put the lid on the dutch oven and covered it with hot coals. 
 
 Once the eggs are set it's ready to eat.  Or if you prefer, you can melt cheese on top. 
I used a 12-inch dutch oven.  It makes a lot of food.  If I had to guess I'd say that it could feed 8-12 people.

Additional Notes:
  • It is heavy on the hash browns.  I think it would turn out fine if less than a full pound were used.
  • I put the hash browns in after the veggies.  You could put them in before if you want them to be more brown and crispy.  
  • Variations of this recipe are all over the Internet.  You can leave stuff out if you don't like it or add other things like mushrooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment