Sunday, February 9, 2014

Starting seeds for the 2014 garden.

In my last post I wrote that I was going to do more planning with the garden this year.  I printed out a sheet of paper with the layout of our raised beds.  Then I sat with my wife and decided what to put where.
That that information I was able to get down to business starting seeds.  In years past I've always just started seeds and figured out where to put the plants later.  That has always meant having a bazillion peppers and only a handful of beans.  Hopefully that won't happen this year.

 I've had a lot of luck with the 72 pod seed starting trays from Home Depot.  They don't appear on Home Depot's web site currently, but they are in the store.  I got this one for $7.99.  That's more expensive than what they've been in the past.
Since the tray has 6 rows I plant things in multiples of 6.  I counted the number of plants I needed based on our garden layout and rounded up to the nearest multiple of 6.  Our layout only calls for 4 tomatillos.  I started 6 seeds.  It called for 16 Roma tomatoes so I started 18.  This should insure that we have enough plants even if a few seeds don't germinate.  If I do happen to end up with extra plants I'll managed to find some place for them to go.  I can put them in containers or give them away. 

I'm getting so serious about planning that I printed out a grid to correspond to the seed starting tray.  Now when seeds sprout I'll know what they are. 
The last step was to move the tray into the garage.  I have it on a seed starting mat to keep it warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment