Monday, November 10, 2014

The chicken swap.

I wrote recently that our chickens are providing very few eggs.  We get one a day on average.  I was telling this to one of my neighbors and she asked me if I wanted to swap out some chickens.  She'd give me some younger ones for some of my older ones.  That sounded like a good deal to me.  The only issue was determining which birds to part with.  I ran the idea by my kids.  They wanted to keep four and swap out three.

Below are pictures of the three new birds.  My kids have named them, but I don't remember what their names are.  


These birds are quite big.  We're hoping that they're big enough that the hawks will leave them alone.  None of them are laying yet.  I'm guessing that they will be by spring.

It took them a few days to adjust to their new surroundings, but they seem to be doing fine now.  The other birds sure do give them grief.  I find the pecking order thing rather amusing. 

2 comments:

  1. Daniel, do you have any dogs? If so, how have they handled the chickens? I have dogs, but I want chickens. Training? Not so much. Can't change Nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have a German Shepherd mix. She chased the chickens a lot when she was a puppy, but she's pretty much outgrown that now. She'll still pounce at them once in a while just to spook 'em, but she doesn't bit or attack them at all.

      Delete