Sunday, August 14, 2016

Using rain water to flush a toilet

I've wanted to use rain water to flush toilets for quite some time.  I got a notice from my water company the other day saying that they were raising my rates.  That motivated me to plumb the toilet into high pressure rain water system sooner rather than later.

I started by drilling a 5/8" hole in the floor behind the toilet.  I hated to put a hole in the hardwood floor, but this was a lot easier than opening and then repairing the wall.
 Next I went into the crawlspace and pushed the reclaimed PEX pipe through the hole.
Then I had to go back to the powder room and connect the valve to the pipe.  I love these Sharkbite push-to-connect fittings.  They're expensive, but so easy to work with.  You just push the pipe into the opening and you're done. 
 I used a braided hose to connect the valve to the toilet.
Then it was back to the crawlspace.  I used another push-to-connect fitting to tie the new line from the toilet into the existing line.
Finally I added a warning tag to the supply line and opened the valve.  I'm pretty sure the tag is required by code, although I doubt too many people would attempt to drink toilet water.  I wanted it more for a means of advertising the fact that the toilet is being flushed with rain water.

Everything works fine.  The toilet fills more slowly than it used to, but that's not a big deal.  (The pump gets the water to 55 psi and the city water is 80 psi.)
Lastly, I added a flow meter to the pump.  This will give me some idea how much house water I'm saving by using rain water instead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment