The first batch of barley fodder worked out so well that I thought I'd try again.
I did a few things differently this time. I had some issues with rotting/fermenting seeds on the bottom last time. So this time I grabbed an old seed starting tray. I used it last year for starting seeds and never threw it out. I put two 2x4's across the sink and put the tray on top. Then I drilled drainage holes down the center of the tray. After the holes were drilled I filled each of the squares in the grid with barley seed.
I put the grow lights over the seed, but did not use the heating mat this time.
Here's a picture on day 7. The grow lights have been removed for clarity.
This is day 13 with the grow lights in place. This time I had a 2x4 on a 2x4.
I think this worked rather well. I didn't notice any strange smells in the garage. I didn't see any slimy rotting seeds on the bottom of the tray either. I watered the barley in the morning before I left for work and again at night when I got home. If there was anything to complain about it would be how long it took. When I used the heating mat it only took 8 days. This time it took 14. In any case, the chickens are going to be happy to find this when they get up tomorrow.