You can see the device I've been using to water the chickens up until now. I got it at the local hardware store. I would say that it works OK, but I have to change the water in it frequently. I have it under the coop and elevated on a landscaping stone, but it still gets dirty.
The solution? I went to the local Agri Supply and found poultry nipples.
Then I went to my shed and found some 4" PVC pipe. Originally this was going to be a strawberry planter. I never got around to using it. My strawberries went directly in the ground. So I re-purposed it.
I had drilled holes in the bottom of it for drainage. That's great for a strawberry planter, but not so good when you want it to hold water. A little duct tape fixed that. I drilled two bigger holes and installed the poultry nipples.
Then I drilled two holes at the other end of the pipe and ran para cord through them. After that I hung it on the side of the coop and filled it with water. It holds just under a gallon.
I have to say that the water in it has stayed clean. But... I can't tell if the water level has gone down much or any at all! I haven't seen a chicken drink from it. So it's hard to say if this has been a success or not.
|Bonus picture! Here's a chicken laying an egg.|