Friday, October 11, 2013

Companion planting with hairy vetch

I've read that growing tomatoes with hairy vetch works well.  So I thought I'd give it a try.  You plant the vetch in the fall once the tomatoes are done.  It grows through the winter.  In the spring you chop and drop it.  The vetch becomes mulch for the tomatoes.

I started by clearing out some of the raised beds.
09-01-2013
I got several pounds of hairy vetch seed from a local gardening store.  I hand spread the seed on the bed.  I didn't know how much to put down.  So I just threw down several handfuls.
 It took a while for the stuff to germinate. 
09-22-2013
10-11-2013
The picture above isn't very good.  We've had a lot of rain and clouds the last few days.  I'll have to get some better pictures as it progresses. 

No comments:

Post a Comment