Sunday, March 16, 2014

Could baby bunnies be on the way?

We didn't have any luck at our first attempt at getting baby rabbits.  It looks like the second attempt may have been more successful.

About a week-and-a-half to two weeks ago my daughter went out to check on the rabbits.  When she came in she said she could feel something move on the underside of the doe.  I didn't know what to think of it.  I didn't want to check for myself.  I was worried about handling her and possibly hurting the babies (if there actually happened to be any).  My wife went out to check a few days later and got bit in the process.  Momma doe was and has been quite irritable since.

My wife reminded me on Friday that it was less than a week away from her due date.  So my daughter and I put pine shavings in her hutch.

And what did we find today???  She's pulled out a lot of hair and has moved hay in there as well.

It doesn't look like a nest to me, but I have no idea what a rabbit nest is supposed to look like.

She didn't pull hair or move hay the last time.  She just kicked all of the shavings out of the box and made a mess.  I'm taking this as a good sign.  We could be less than a week away from having more rabbits!

No comments:

Post a Comment