Anyway, long ago I attempted to put a hugelkultur bed in my front yard. I haven't been overwhelmed with the results. You can see the difference in the two pictures below.
It's been nearly two years since I put this in. Since then I've added 4-6 wheelbarrow loads of compost. I added rabbit manure. I added more compost and planted hairy vetch and rye grass in hopes that the root system that developed would hold everything in place. The rye grass grew to be a foot tall. I cut it down and left it in place as mulch.
I pulled back the top layer of mulch the other night and found that a lot of the buried wood was exposed. The areas that were exposed appeared to be dry and not rotting. The areas that were covered did show signs of rot. (I have to say that the soil here is beautiful.)
|Closeup of exposed wood. The bottom is damp and the top is dry.|
I pulled out three of the logs near the end. Two of them had a fair amount of rot and the third did not.