Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Compost Status

It's been a while since I've posted an update on my compost bins. Every month I move the pile from one bin to the other.  While I was doing that the other day I got some pictures.
I filled the bin to the top with leaves and other material last fall.  It's broken down and compacted so much that the bin is only half full now.
I checked the temperature and it was at 120*.  It was higher the last time I checked.  I might not have the right mix of greens and browns in there.
Here's the pile after it was moved to the other side.
I should probably turn the pile more frequently, but it's a lot of work.  This stuff has been in there for the better part of a year and still has a long way to go.  It should be ready in the fall.  I plan to use it in my raised beds once the growing season is over.  The beds settle over time so some of them have low spots.

No comments:

Post a Comment