Monday, June 30, 2014

Garden Status for June 2014

The garden really starting to produce now. 
June 12 harvest.

Slicing cucumbers on June 21.
June 22 harvest
The two quarts are refrigerator pickles and the pints are fermented pickles.  My wife made both on June 26.

Tomatoes picked June 27.  I canned these.  See the picture below.
I canned 5 pints of tomatoes on June 27.
I picked and canned every red tomato I could find on the 27th.  On the 30th the plants were full of red tomatoes.
June 30
Pickling cucumbers.
The peas are done.  What's left on there will be saved for seed for next year.

Pie pumpkin.  I've never grown pumpkin before.  It appears to be doing well.
I have several ears of corn with more one the way.  I didn't plant the cucumbers here.  They showed up on their own.
Zucchini.  June 30
I have a lot of beans out there that need to be picked.  This one was on its own so it was easier to photograph.
June 30.
I didn't get pictures of the pepper plants.  They're doing OK.  I expect them to produce more later in the year.  My tomatillos aren't doing nearly as well as they have in past years.  I have a little bit of my late lettuce left, but it's on the bitter side.  The lettuce I planted earlier got very bitter so I took it out and gave it to the chickens.

We've been eating a lot of this stuff with meals.  I've also been taking salad to work for lunch several times a week.  When I've had extra I've given it away to neighbors and co-workers.  This is my favorite time of year. I just love summer.

1 comment:

  1. Looking great! I thoroughly enjoy reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete