Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Compost bins update.

Long ago I wrote about my composting adventures.  I should have written an update sooner, but I've been busy with other things.  I don't think about compost much since it pretty much just sits there.  And since I don't think about it, I don't write about.

So what has happened since last time?  I moved the compost that was in the bin out and put it in a pile.  It wasn't nearly as composted as I had hoped.  It looked like a lot of black wet leaves.

As for the bins...  That stuff hasn't been breaking down as quickly as I had hoped either.  I think it's been too cold this winter.  I have made an effort to move it from one side to the other once a month.  That's probably not frequently enough, but it's hard work and that's as often as I'm going to do it.
Here's the compost shortly after I moved it to the right bin. 

Here it is 2-3 weeks later and after it has warmed up.  It's already settled quite a bit.
I've already dumped a load of pine shavings and chicken manure from the coop into the left side.  I plan to add grass clippings and leaves and start a fresh batch that will cook through the summer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment