Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Garden Status for July 2014

It's been a busy month for the garden
July 2 harvest.
Beans picked on July 3.
 My wife froze a lot of the beans.  I canned 5 pints of tomatoes and my wife made and canned 6 pints of salsa.
Salsa
A lot of my tomato plants gave up and died.  I did put new plants in the ground, but they're probably a few weeks away from producing anything.
Harvest on July 15.  I've had a lot of luck with cucumbers this year.
More beans were picked on July 18.
I haven't grown pumpkins before.  These two turned out pretty nice.
More cucumbers and tomatoes on July 20.


I wrote previously that my homemade trellis didn't work out so well.  A lot of the cucumbers that were climbing/destroying it had turned yellow.  So I took them out and created a new trellis.  The frame is the same.  The twine I used last time was the problem.  It just wasn't strong enough.  I used mason line this time.  Hopefully it lasts longer.  
I replaced broken twine with mason line and removed all of the cucumbers that had been here.
I don't even know where these pole beans came from.  I must've picked some up somewhere.  Anyway, they're going crazy climbing the trellis where the peas had been.
My corn isn't doing well.  I'm only seeing 1 ear per stalk and they are tiny ears.  They aren't even worth picking.  I don't think I'll be growing it again next year.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment