Saturday, September 13, 2014

Wunderlist

This backyard homesteading thing gives me a lot to do (chickens, composting, gardening, rabbits, etc.).  In addition to that stuff I also have to keep track of the usual homeowner todo's (yard work, painting, car maintenance, etc.).  It's a lot to keep track of.  So I looked to technology.  I found an app called Wunderlist.  It's a todo list that's available for your smartphone and it's accessible through the web.  It stays synchronized across both.

You start by creating your list of categories for keep track of your various tasks.  I use Inside, Outside, Garden, Paint/Stain, Pressure Wash, Vehicles & tools.  The Inbox is where everything else goes. 

You can create tasks with or without due dates.
One of the features that I find most useful is the ability to make recurring tasks.  I have a task to "change the HVAC filters" every two months.  That way I know when it's due and I don't have wonder whether or not it needs to be done again. 
You can also highlight items by starring them.
Also included in the category list are items due Today, and this Week.

This next feature is also very useful.  You can mark tasks with hashtags.  There may be other reasons to do this, but I use it to tag tasks with special requirements.  If I'm going to get my extension ladder out, I want to get everything done that requires it.  I don't want to have to get it out more frequently than I have to.
There are other features in Wunderlist that I have not used.  You can share lists with other people and even set it up to allow multiple users.  I've been real happy with it.  It meets my needs.  I just with the number of tasks would go down.  Every time I finish one thing I seem to add one or two more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment