Tuesday, March 3, 2015

2015 Seed Starting Update

In years past I've started almost all of my seeds at once.  This year I decided that I would stagger starting them.  I'm hoping that this will spread out my harvest.  I don't want to have all of my tomatoes die at the same time like they did last year.  I started my first seeds on February 11.  I started additional seeds on the 18th and 25th.  I'm going to start more tomorrow (and continue each week until I until I put plants in the ground). 

Now is probably a good time to mention that last year I printed out a diagram of my garden and planned exactly what would go where.  That way I knew exactly what seeds to start and where the plants would end up.  It worked well.   I haven't done that this year.  I'm going back to my old seat-of-the-pants method of "starting a lot of seeds and planting where there's room". 

Anyway, what's the point of this post?  The first group of seeds that I started got big.  So I had to pot them up the other day.
I threw grow lights on top so they wouldn't strain for light.
I really should have labelled this stuff...
I found a container of soil in my yard and brought it into my garage to thaw out.  I filled the small pots with soil and moved the seedling (peat pod included) into the larger pot.
I moved the newly potted seedlings under my shop lights.
 Below is a wider shot of the area.  I'm still waiting for more seedlings to appear in the Jiffy Greenhouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment