Friday, January 13, 2012

First Post

This is my first post on my first blog.  I don't claim to be much of a writer or like doing it, but I thought I should start by trying to explain what I want to accomplish here.  For that, I need to give some history.

In summer or 2008, before the big financial meltdown my wife and I noticed that our grocery bills were going up.  We decided then that we should start gardening.  It was kind of late in the season to start then, so we bought a book called All New Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew.  We read it cover to cover.  In the spring of 2009 we started implementing what we learned.  We started out with three 4x4' raised beds (and eventually ended up with 6). 


I was hooked.  Being able to grow your own food is an amazing feeling.  Of course once you grow all this stuff you need to figure out what to do with it.  That lead me to learn how to can, and dehydrate.  More recently I've taken and interest in preserving food via fermentation.  (I'm never going to buy sauerkraut from the store again.) My goal with this blog is to share what I'm doing and what I've learned with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment