Monday, January 30, 2012

Why didn't I think of that before?

I was in my yard Saturday morning looking for something to do.  Then it hit me.  My second mini-greenhouse was just sitting there on the patio.  I didn't have anything in it.  It was then that I realized that putting containers in there wasn't the only thing that I could do with it.  I could put it over seeds planted right in the ground!  It was an, "Ah-Ha! Why didn't I think of that before?" moment.

So I levelled off some space in the garden that the previous owners had.
I have to note that I put a lot of work into this garden.  When we moved in last summer, it was only half full, and the soil (if you can call it that) was very sandy.  Who knows, maybe it wasn't a garden but a sandbox.  Anyway, I added several 5-gallon buckets of compost and got it to where it is now.  The plants that are in there are ones that I put in last Fall.  The two in the front are Brussels Sprouts and the two towards the back are broccoli.  I am surprised at how well they've made it through the winter.

Here's the area that I levelled.  I put the greenhouse in place which compressed the soil so I could see its boundaries.  I planted kale, spinach, and lettuce.  

 And here is the garden with the greenhouse in place.

I checked the temperatures in the greenhouse throughout the day.  It was in the 70-80* range most of the day.  The outside temp was ~62*. 

Now I just have to wait and see how this works.  It certainly got plenty warm in there during the day, but this greenhouse doesn't have heat.  I don't know how it will do at night.  Hopefully the soil holds the heat better than the stone patio where the other green house is.

No comments:

Post a Comment