Friday, May 10, 2013

Another self watering 5-gallon bucket

The self watering containers I built previously seem to be doing OK.  I put tomatillos in them, and they've got to be nearly a foot tall now.

I got more buckets, so I thought I'd build another one.  This time I'm using a round net pot that I found on Amazon.  I got 6 of them for less than $4. 

I cut a hole in the bottom of the bucket and put the net pot through it.  I probably didn't make the hole big enough, but the lip on the pot was rather small, and I didn't want to risk making the hole too big.  A hole saw would have been good for this, but I don't have one.  I used my Dremel.  The Dremel doesn't make nice round holes the way a hole saw would.  Oh well...  You use what you have.

Here's the view from the inside.  This bucket has seen better days.  I drilled several small drainage holes and a larger 7/8" hole for the PVC pipe.

I wanted to know just how well the soil wicked the water up from the lower chamber.  So as an experiment I put about an inch of soil in the bottom of the bucket.  Then I poured water down the PVC pipe, and waited over night.

Well how about that?  All of the soil in the bottom of the bucket was good and damp.   It really works.  Now I just need to make another trip to Home Depot to get more soil.  Seriously, I should just move in to that place.  I'm there all the time anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment