Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Drip irrigation system is working

I finally have drip irrigation in all of my raised beds.  So far it seems to be working pretty well.  The picture below is the tomato bed.  You can see the wet areas around the emitters.
  
This picture is a little more clear.  This bed has my peppers that aren't doing so well.
The drip irrigation system is fed from my rain barrels.  It's should cut my summer water bill down a lot.  One of the things that surprised me is how slow it is.  When I used a sprinkler I would turn it on for 20 minutes in the morning and another 20 minutes in the afternoon.  Twenty minutes of drip irrigation doesn't accomplish much.  I've been opening the valve on the rain barrel before I leave for work and when I come home I supplement with more water from a watering can

One of the benefits of using drip irrigation is that you can get the water directly to the plants and not waste a lot of it watering the driveway and other areas where there are no plants.  The downside to this is that you have to get your emitters in the right locations.  This is obvious in the picture above.  There are a lot of dry areas in that bed.  I think this can be remedied by adding more emitters.  Until then, I'll have to manually water the areas that need it.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete