Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Self watering 5-gallon bucket results

I made some self watering containers out of 5-gallon buckets a while back.  I thought I should post an update with how they are doing.
Tomatillos on May 8, 2013.
Here's a picture I took of them the other day.
July 28, 2013
I'm not sure what to say about them.  The tomatillo on the left is a lot bigger and greener than the other three.  But, it's not doing nearly as well as the ones I put in the raised beds.  I think the bucket on the left got better soil than the other buckets.  Or maybe tomatillos aren't the best things to grow this way.  I don't know. 

I'm undecided about trying these containers again next year.  All of my raised beds have drip irrigation fed by rain barrels.  That system has worked quite well so far.  I'm not sure I have a need for self watering bucket containers.  Oh well.  It was worth a try, and it wasn't a complete failure. It just didn't work as well as I had hoped.

No comments:

Post a Comment