Friday, February 3, 2012

Oh, How I Miss Cake!

As I mentioned before, I was doing a whole foods diet that was pretty close to a paleo-style plan.  Well, now I've gone a step further and am doing a 21-day cleanse diet. 

I'd been so looking forward to just a little bit of baking when I finished the 30 days of the whole foods plan, which would be when I could add a touch of sweetener, like agave syrup or honey.  But the cleanse took away eggs.  Argh!

I miss cake!  See, I'm more of a texture-lover when it comes to food.  Don't get me wrong, flavor is big, but I've never met a flavor I haven't liked.  Texture is what makes me LOVE, see?  Anyway, nothing can replace the texture of cake.

So I tried.  I tried a great breakfast bar recipe I found online.  But I can only do so much almond or I get itchy, so I subbed coconut flour.  Epic fail.  If I had read the bloggers other posts on coconut flour, I would have known to use much less because it soaks up moisture like no sponge I've ever seen.  What I ended up with was a dry crumble of delicious nuttiness.  But it kept making me cough.  (And no, I didn't take a picture of the crumbly mess because I'm new at this blogging stuff.)

I couldn't just throw the beautiful nuts, seeds and coconuttiness out with the trash!  I was too yummy!  So I fixed it.  Kinda.  I added:
  • 1 banana
  • 1 1/3 cup coconut milk
  • 1/4 cup grapeseed oil
  • 1 1/4 cup water
Mixed those ingredients up in the food processor, spread in 9x13 pan and baked for 20 minutes.


YES!  Mission accomplished.  It FEELS like cake!  Yummmm!  But somehow it lots all its nuttiness, and it tastes like a really bland doughnut.  Now I need to rescue this.
Hmmm... I'm thinking some vegan coconut frosting?

No comments:

Post a Comment