As luck would have it, Home Depot happened to have 42 in. treated balusters on sale for $0.89. Regular old 2x2" PT lumber is $2.97. Ouch! I think I ended up buying 10 of the balusters. I already had the 2x4 and chicken wire.
I cut 3" inches or so off of two of the balusters. I wanted the ones on top to be longer. That way I could attach a rope for moving the thing around. I made the height of the thing the same height as the chicken wire. That way I wouldn't have to spend a lot of time cutting it.
|One side done.|
I made two identical sides. I cut the angled end off of 4 balusters and used them to attach the two sides together.
Then I drilled holes in the top balusters that extended past the main part of the tractor. I fed a rope through the holes a secured both ends with a eye splices.
|Closeup of the eye splice.|
|I used my staple gun to attach the poultry netting.|
|Back side of the chicken tractor.|
|I put in a hanging feeder.|
Finally, I moved the thing to the back yard and put 5 birds in it. I don't think they were too happy at first. They kept looking around like they were trying to find a way out and back into the other tractor.
|I attempted to hang the water, but that didn't last long.|