Saturday, May 3, 2014

Backyard Broilers -- Round 2: Week 4

It's been a busy week with the broilers.  The big news is that they have all moved into the back yard.  They are out of the garage!!! 
Last year I kept 11 birds in two chicken tractors.  I had to move each tractor twice a day.  It was a lot of work.  I don't feel like doing it again.  I decided instead to just prop up the front of the tractor with a block of wood.  I've been keeping the feed in the tractor so it's protected from the rain.  I've been putting the water outside, but not too far away.  This has worked out well so far.  The birds seem to enjoy being able to move around.
The dog makes sure they get some exercise.
The birds make a mess under the tractor, so I still end up moving it once a day.  It's easier though, since they aren't generally in it.  
They eat like crazy.
They drink like crazy too.
It took my 15 birds 4 weeks to finish off the first 100 lbs. of feed that I bought.  Since I'm going through all of this effort to raise my own birds I decided to look into a better feed.  I found a person not far from where I live selling soy-free organic chicken feed from Countryside Organics.  They order it in bulk for their own use and sell it to people like me. 

I have no idea if using soy-free organic feed is going to produce a better bird or not.  I'd like to think so.  I figure it's worth trying.  The only down side is the cost.  A 50 lbs. bag is $36.  That's double what the regular feed costs. 
I got tired of refilling the little feeder multiple times a day.  I put the big feeder in there instead.  It should hold enough feed to last them a few days (I hope).

No comments:

Post a Comment