Saturday, March 9, 2013

Cover crops in the yard

My back yard has gotten to be quite a mess.  We've had a lot of rain this winter which has turned about half of the yard into mud.  The dog and the chickens haven't helped.  We've always had a few bare spots where grass wouldn't grow, but they've gotten much bigger.
The grass is sparse.
So, what should be done about it?  I figure since I have chickens that I might as well grow something for them. 

I went to my favorite gardening store and they happened to have some cover crops in stock.  I picked some crimson clover, alfalfa, and winter rye. 

I mixed them all together with what was left of my barley.

I knew that as soon as this stuff hit the ground the chickens would eat it.  So I took the fence down from around my kale and cabbage and set it up over a bare patch of ground.  I added some glow in the dark rope so it'd be seen at night.

Of course the chickens tried their best to get the seed near the edge.

I covered the seed with straw.

I'd guess that the chickens spent an hour or more going around the fence trying to get whatever they could.  I think they'll enjoy it more once it grows. 

Now all I can do is wait and hope that it grows.

2 comments:

  1. I've got to figure out how to keep the hens out of newly planted areas. Your temporary barricade looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The plastic netting came from Lowes. It was $20 for 50 ft. of it. It's the cheapest 4 ft. high solution that I've found.

      Delete