Out of the 10 I had left, three of them were males. Since I got some experience processing a chicken last weekend and since I had some time this weekend, I decided that they should go in the freezer. I really didn't want to take the chance of having them crow.
I set up the garage as I did before. I discovered last time that the worst part of the process is removing the feathers. I thought that I might be able to get around that step by just skinning the whole bird. So that's what I did with the first one. The result? It was no easier. It certainly didn't save me any time.
|Skinless bird #1.|
So the lesson I learned for next time is to keep a pot of hot water handy for each bird.
I also found that things got better with each bird. I didn't really have any problems with the first two, but the third one just seemed to go so much better. I didn't time how long it took me to process each bird, but from start until I cleaned everything up was about 3 hours. I'd really like it to take less time than that, but I'm not sure how to speed things up. That's still one hour per bird.
What was most remarkable this time was the weight of the birds. They were all within 1 oz. of each other. It'll be interesting to see how much the rest of the birds weigh when they are processed.
|3 lbs. 8.3 oz.|
|3 lbs. 7.5 oz.|
|3 lbs. 7.9 oz.|