Tuesday, July 23, 2013

The ducks have moved from the garage to the yard.

I am happy to report that the ducks are out of the garage! 

We had some concern about how the chickens would react to them.  So I fenced off a corner of the yard to keep them separated during the day.
 Their tub of water is in the corner behind the trellis.

They've been spending their nights in the chicken tractor.

Much to my surprise the ducks use the poultry nipple waterer.
We need to find a more permanent shelter for them at night. Moving them in and out of the tractor is not the long term plan.  The six remaining broilers have taken over the other tractor.  Once they're gone maybe the ducks will move into it.  Or, maybe they'll move into the coop with the layers.  I don't know if the ducks would stay in there or not.  We just have to wait and see what happens.

On a few occasions my son has let the ducks out to roam the yard.  From what he has told me, they are doing fine with the chickens.  They're still small enough that they could get under fence gate, so I don't think they are going to be left out on unsupervised anytime soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment