Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Backyard Broilers -- Week 11

I'm getting near the end now.  I only have one thing new to report since last week.  I put another bird in the freezer over the weekend.  It was 3 lb. 11.4 oz.  That's not bad, but it wasn't the biggest so far.

The birds have gotten quite happy in the yard.  They're ready to be released from the tractor when I go out in the morning.
They get along fine with the layers.  For the most part though, they keep to themselves.  I have noticed that they've gotten a lot more brave.  They are wandering all over the yard now and aren't just staying around the tractor.

I'm facing two issues right now.  Neither of them are huge.  The first is that the broilers' food has become community food.  The broilers, the layers, and the ducks are all eating it.  I have no way of keeping track how much of it the broilers are eating.  Luckily, I don't think I'll have to buy any more feed before they graduate.

The other issue is that I'm starting to feel bad about putting these guys in the freezer.  Now that they are in the yard they're more like pets.  Oh well, I'm sure I'll manage.  I only have 5 to go.  I'll probably get them processed this weekend.
11 Weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment